Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

This Week's Guest Blogger: Sue Fred



The Math Lit students reacted very enthusiastically to the practical assignment which involved walking about the campus taking pictures of shapes and prisms and physically measuring them. They then had to create a chart which included pictures, representative sketches (with accurate measurements) and calculations involving Perimeter and Total Surface Area.

They committed to the task in groups or pairs and displayed great teamwork as different skills amongst the girls became evident.

The concept of two- and three-dimensional figures is traditionally difficult for students to grasp due to its abstract nature, but I'm certain this practical exercise is going to change that.

I'm not sure who enjoyed this more: the students... or the teacher?!




4 comments:

  1. Well, that certainly looks like more fun than sitting in class trying to make three-dimensional objects out of bits of paper (as I've done in the past!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great fun I especially like the picture of measuring the emblem on someone's car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so proud of my girls. I have some beautiful charts to display in the classroom to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow the mathematics in real life objects often seem to be a surprise to maths students. I remember illustrating parallel lines once using the burglar guards on the windows and the ceiling boards above and it was as if these things had never been parallel before I mentioned them!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you think!